Tuesday, August 5, 2008

All That Glitters...


How did I end up OWNING my own jars of glitter? I am really a cardstock and ribbon kind of scrapper. I want to blame Kit, the Glitter Queen, for my descent into the shiny side of life, but the truth is I glitter because my daughter's pictures beg for it. I am not sure how she got to be such a "girly-girl." But there's no fighting her desire to be FANCY and SPARKLY. So we just let her be who she wants to be. She is our princess in every way.


[Princess Through & Through, 2008]

This means that I have given in to glitter. It started small, with a few stick-on jewels here and there. But a couple of years ago, while working on a Diva layout, I was sitting across from the Glitter Queen. She just couldn't let those pictures of the girls all blinged out go without at least suggesting some glitter. I pooh-poohed the idea. Me? Glitter? How absurd. But Glitter Queen just made it seem so simple, so normal, so NECESSARY. I succumbed and had my first tutorial. The page really did capture the sparkly story.

After that, I dabbled in more jewels and stocked up with glitter paper. I mixed the glitter paper in unlikely pages, like the Big Fish page. Then I found Bazzill Bling cardstock. OK, you're killing me with this stuff. It's shiny and sparkly. It comes in all colors. I had to own all of it. I used it for the Cinderella/Halloween page - nothing else would do.

[Big Fish, 2007]


[The Updo and the Upchuck, 2007]

Now I have jewels (circles, hearts, flowers), glitter patterned paper, Bling cardstock, and a set of silver and gold pens I picked up along the way. Then I bought these great metallic pens from Creative Memories. They are terrific for journaling and doodling with shiny touch, especially when paired up with the glitter patterned paper. It seemed like a good match up in The Dolphin and the Unicorn layout.


[The Dolphin and the Unicorn, 2007]

I was heading down that glittery path faster and faster. I bought glitter rub-ons for Halloween AND winter. This layout for Snow Time was perfect with glitter-paper snowflakes and glitter rub on snowflakes.


[Snowtime, 2007]

Then it happened. I went all in. I had Glitter Queen order actual jars of glitter for me. A set of five. I own them. I rearranged my supplies and storage to make a spot just for them. I got spray adhesive. I glitter to do justice to my baby's natural sparkle and shine. I glitter because my baby girl is a princess who deserves to twinkle and shimmer.

I glitter because I can.

No comments: